Monday 10 November 2014

Margaret Mathison and The Fox and the Mirror

This piece was animated by another CalArts(J.g. Quintel, Pendleton Ward) student Margaret Mathison.
"I did it because I am currently attending CalArts and every year we are expected to make a short film. I Have to say the people in the department are the most hard working insane awesome people before. I am just one of the individuals who accomplish this great feet every year. It’s Awesome! Only now can I appreciate the amount of work that goes into hand drawn animation. So much work for such a short thing. But it means so much! Now I feel like I can accomplish anything!"
It is a classic hand-drawn, pose to pose animation, made with mechanical 5HB pencils and animation paper. It was tested on a light box system, then scanned in, arranged on After Effects and edited on Final Cut Pro.
The short film is a bit abstract and has symbolistic tendencies: the butterflies symbolises the dream which we all pursue and the mirror represents our worst enemy- ourselves. Even though the short film looks like a rough sketch, it translates the message really well and it is easy to sympathise with the main character.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this years ago. Fell in love with it, absolutely beautiful. Also, what song is used in the animation?

    ReplyDelete