Thursday 30 October 2014

Animating pose to pose

This time we're kicking it old school!
I was looking forward to this, because I never had a chance to do proper hand drawn animation, and it was everything I expected- a lot of work but satisfying as hell. I love to drawing on paper, and in fact, I believe most of animators do, because why else would you draw the same thing for a hundred times. Anyway, the process is very simple- plan out and start drawing. We had to do the pendulum exercise, which was very beneficial because it's the most basic as it gets and it helps you understand the importance of properly planing out the timing and spacing. We were asked to make 12 frames of the pendulum going to one side and 12 to the other in total making a one second animation. Well I managed to fail with that. Instead I did 24 frames to one side, which meant I made myself double the work. But instead of animating the other half I just duplicated the frames and reversed them on Flash, and changed the frame to 24 fps rather than 12fps. As a result the animation turned out more smoother and now I'm actually satisfied I made that mistake.
For the other half of the pose to pose exercise we had to animate what ever we wanted as long as we applied the principals of animation and planned out everything beforehand.

 I made a jumping cat-
I'm really satisfied with the out come, but I guess I could have changed the frame rate to make it a bit quicker and put a couple more frames in when the cat is in the air with extended arms just to make it a bit more exaggerated. But basically everything I wanted is in there- squashing and stretching, anticipation, overlapping.
Overall, pose to pose animating isn't easy, mainly because you have no idea how the animation looks until it's actually rendered, but if it is planned out properly, it is satisfying to see the exact out come you hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment