Thursday 30 October 2014

Thought of You- why it is the most brilliant animation I've ever seen

I was really excited to blog about this, because this piece is really special to me. It motivated me to stick to animation and it is something I wanted and still want to do- animated choreography.
I have danced hip hop for three years, and during that period I constantly wondered what it would be like to animate choreography, especially contemporary, because it is so fluent in body language and it just shows off the maximum capability of dance as an art form. My favorite choreographer is Sonya Tayeh, because her contemporary and jazz routines are not only award winning but she usually touches really delicate subjects and always brings out raw emotion. For me her pieces a greatly inspiring and always keeps me wandering  if I could animate it one day.

And not so long ago I came across Ryan Woodward's Thought of You. It was exactly what I imagined when wandered about Sonya Tayeh choreography being animated. Ryan Woodward as an animator is really well known, he has done storyboarding for various companies like Disney, Warner Bros., Marvel entertainment, animation for Pixar, animatics for movies like Spider Man 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Looney Tunes. But working for these big studios and projects doesn't leave space for his creativity to flourish at its best, whereas in the making of Thought of You he had the freedom to change, tweak or add something as it was created. I honestly think, the the amount of passion and sincerity put into an art piece, always translates to the viewer. But Thought about You in particular is the best thing ever animated because:
  • It doesn't hide behind any tricks of cinematography like camera angles, close ups, changes of lighting. It is raw in its simplicity and provides this genuine experience to the viewer. What ever you feel while watching this animation, its not because it is manipulated through special effects, it's because it is actually sincere.
  • I love the way the animator plays with timing, weight and silhouettes. One moment everything is quick, the other it is in slow motion, one moment something has weight the other it's weightless, there you see a full drawn character and there it's just a line. These diverse features create a surrealistic and light image.
  • It is created on Flash. That fact alone gives me hope that I can actually do something like this in the future.
  • It has contemporary choreography in it. I guess I don't need to explain why that is a great plus for me.
In a nutshell, this short 2d animated film is something that I keep coming back to, because it is the niche of inspiration and motivation and every single time I watch it, I see something different. For those who haven't seen it, SEE IT-

No comments:

Post a Comment